Would you like to work in a high-growth company at the heart of Bangalore’s tech startup community, supporting entrepreneurs and startups in creating globally successful tech products?
TechHub is a worldwide organisation with hubs across Europe and Asia and counts Google amongst its global partners. Our member startups around the world raise multiple millions of dollars in funding each year and have been acquired by the likes of Microsoft, Google, Twitter and Facebook. Using your skills and knowledge, you have the chance to make an impact on the success of our global community.
Who are we?
TechHub is the global community for tech entrepreneurs and startups. We work with over 700 companies around the world to help them scale. The TechHub network unites startups building their own tech products, enabling them to collaborate, work smarter, develop faster and increase their chances of startup success. We’ve launched TechHubs in London and 5 other European cities alongside Bangalore, with more international communities on the way!
In February 2016 we announced our global partnership with Google for Entrepreneurs to help our our startups go truly global. We are excited to give each and every TechHub member in the world access to programmes and assistance from Google, including Google mentors, programmes, demo days, and Google Cloud Platform credits for qualifying startups.
You will be in great company - every TechHub team member is smart, fun, friendly and all-round awesome. You will be part of a truly global organisation and work with the extended TechHub family - teams in the United Kingdom, Spain, Poland, Latvia and Romania, and colleagues of more than 10 different nationalities.
TechHub is scaling up fast and we're looking for a fantastically talented, passionate and friendly Community Development Manager to join the Bangalore team. This is a great opportunity for someone with a great knowledge of India’s tech startup ecosystem and an international mindset who loves interacting with people, has a great personality, an excellent eye for detail, and is keen to use those skills while working in Bangalore’s coolest startup environment.
You will work closely with our Ecosystem Manager (who builds and curates the TechHub community) and our Programme Manager (who designs, hosts, produces and runs our entire content programme).
If you're looking for a 9-to-5 job where you don’t need to use your brain and can just sit back and relax behind a computer - this position isn’t for you. If you’d like to work in a fast-paced environment that is constantly changing, never boring, and where you’ll get to know and empower smart and inspiring individuals that are developing innovative tech products - keep reading.
The Community Development Manager’s role is to cultivate the most successful tech startup community in Bangalore by creating the best possible environment for our members and ensuring they take full advantage of the opportunities offered by TechHub. You will need to develop close relationships with our members, have a clear understanding of their needs and connect them to relevant resources in order to help their businesses develop and grow.
- Respond to membership applications and maintain the membership waiting list - this will involve answering calls, emails and queries. Our environment is buzzing and needs timely, helpful and friendly responses to those who are interested in joining or collaborating with our community!
- Inform TechHub membership applicants about the benefits and conditions of TechHub membership, assess their fit within the community and within our membership criteria, suggest appropriate membership options for their startup and recommend specific ways in which we can support their startup once they join the community.
- Work with the TechHub finance team to set up and manage member accounts and payments. You will adjust each startup’s memberships depending on the changes in their startup’s size and structure, by coordinating membership exits, transfers, renewals, and additions for each startup.
- Welcome new members to the community, by holding regular on-boarding sessions and introducing them to existing members who can give them relevant support and expertise. Perform regular check-ins with current members to ensure they are making the best use of their membership and are appropriately supported by our team.
- Be the community’s internal connector - you are the “human encyclopedia” of TechHub members: always up-to-date on their projects, skills, latest achievements and struggles; and able to connect members looking for advice, feedback or collaborators to help them. You will also collaborating with your international TechHub colleagues to link TechHub Bangalore members to TechHub communities around the world and provide them with localised support and opportunities.
- Engage members in the community - encourage members to share their expertise and ask for help; communicate relevant opportunities through community updates; create a positive atmosphere where members can get to know each other professionally and socially. Ensure members are behaving appropriately and adhere to community policies, resolve disputes and keep discipline when there are issues.
- Maintain smooth operation of the physical hub - work with your colleagues to keep the TechHub space clean, welcoming and fully functioning, resolving issues quickly and smoothly. There’s nothing worse than an entrepreneur who hasn’t had their morning coffee because the coffee machine has broken!
Our ideal candidate
You’ll be an essential member of the team and we will rely on you to be a friendly, knowledgeable and professional face of TechHub. You are:
- Experienced in customer service, client management, operations - you will be responsible for managing and developing all internal relationships within the community and the ensuring facilities and processes within the hub operate smoothly. At least 2 years’ experience in customer service, client management or operations is essential.
- Very familiar with the Indian tech startup ecosystem - do you know what the best tech meetups are? Who the most successful investors are? What an MVP is? You’ll be surrounded by tech entrepreneurs and will need to speak their language, so having worked with startups, in startups or run your own startup is essential to being successful in this role! At least one year’s experience in a technology startup environment is a must-have.
- An exceptional personality, with great people skills – you love interacting with people and being warm, helpful and reliable, whilst also knowing how to manage expectations and deal with conflicts by being logical, fair, calm and respectful.
- Super organised and a proactive problem solver – great at managing your time and workload to ensure everything gets done, and skilled at balancing multiple priorities at any given time. You never settle for less and are constantly finding new ways and designing new processes to improve the quality of your work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - these abilities are crucial, from correct spelling to being efficient, clear and helpful when dealing with member requests and team meetings.
- Excellent at remembering names and faces – you will need to know our members well and develop positive relationships with them from day one. Everyone loves to be treated as a unique individual, rather than a membership number!
- Comfortable working autonomously and within a team - our team is small, so being able to balance independence with collaboration is really important. Tech-savvy - you'll need to quickly get to grips with our systems, so good skills and the ability to learn new software, applications and technology is a must.
- Happy to get stuck in – as with any startup, some duties might be unexpected, or there might be times when it’s all hands on deck. We’re looking for people who want to see TechHub succeed and will get the job done.
- The kind of person who goes the extra mile – you’re genuinely helpful and committed; and these qualities won’t go unnoticed with us, we believe in giving credit where credit’s due.
- Email your CV with “TechHub Bangalore Community Development Manager” in the subject line to email@example.com.
- Include a covering letter in your email. We will not consider applications without a covering letter! Tell us why you're interested in the role and why we should hire you - we want to know why you're excited by this particular opportunity.
- Briefly detail relevant experience and skills in the covering email - no need to write about your entire work history (as it will be in your CV), concentrate instead on the parts that you consider most relevant to this position.
- Include your earliest start date
- Include your salary expectations (please at least include a range)
- Be professional but with personality - don't write like a corporate drone, let your real self shine through your email.