Welcome to the latest edition of Twenty Question Tuesdays with TechHub Swansea.
Last week we met Jeremy North, co-founder of Datris Solutions. This week, we turn to Liam Betsworth, a User Experience Designer at Leadin.
Don't forget - If you want to get involved just click: I want to Play 20 Questions with TechHub Swansea!
So, over to Liam and his 20 answers...
1. What is your expertise?
Human-computer Interaction, User Research & Interaction Design.
2. Tell us what a normal day for you looks like.
It�s difficult to describe a normal day, as my job has so many different roles! I�ll try and describe what my work day looks like at the moment. I arrive at work between 8-9 each morning - the location of which changes based on the current contract. There will usually be a daily standup in the morning, where the team can catch up on progress. Throughout the week, I work towards completing my sprint goals. These can be varied, but often include user research, service design, interaction design, graphic design and prototyping tasks. When not working for clients, I�m involved in handling sales with new and existing customers. A work day is 8 hours long, but can vary depending on the amount that needs to be done.
3. How long have you been involved in Tech?
In a professional/academic capacity, 4-5 years. I�ve been interested in technology since I was 7 though!
4. What does your company do?
Leadin identifies itself as a Service Production Company. That involves:
- Pre-production (User research, business design & concept design) - Production (UX design & software development) - Post-production (Deployment, training & life-cycle management)
5. What role do you have now and how long have you been in it?
User Experience Designer since May 2015.
6. How did you end up in your current role?
I completed a PhD in early 2015 and was looking for a User Experience role in Swansea. Leadin very recently set up in Swansea and were looking for core team members. With an impressive existing customer base, I saw this as a great opportunity.
7. Whats the most rewarding thing about your job, what makes it all worthwhile?
Meeting with real people and capturing user insights that allow us to build better systems.
8. What are your greatest achievements to date?
My PhD is one. It required a huge amount of determination and effort, but was certainly worth it. Also, being a Director and Cofounder of an independent clothing company.
9. What do you do when you�re not in work?
Socialising, downhill mountain biking and taking care of the clothing business.
10. Which area do you live in and how long have you been living there?
I live in the Upper Swansea Valley and have done so for most of my life.
11. What would you like to see happen to your Tech Scene immediately and in the future?
Immediately, I�d like to see more younger people getting involved in programming and hacking. In the past, Swansea was a world leader in producing the highest quality copper. In the future, I�d like Swansea to (once again) be seen as a world leader in science and engineering.
12. If you had to recommend one book, film or game to me, what would it be and why?
Twin Town - that film is my heritage! (although you probably have to be from South Wales to appreciate it)
13. Name three things you would take with you on a foreign holiday.
Macbook, phone and partner (not necessarily in that order).
14. Mac, Linux or PC?
Mac, then PC.
15. Xbox, PS4, or PC (or other)?
16. What is your claim to fame?
A radio interview with Jason Mohammad on BBC Radio Wales.
17. If they made a film of your life, who would play you?
18. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
Guy Martin - he�s pretty entertaining.
19. Tell us something about yourself that people wouldn�t expect.
I�ve spent over a third of my life with my partner, and I�m only 25!
20. What's your superpower, or what's your spirit animal?
How long has your company been operating?
6+ years in Finland. 6 months in the UK.
What is your company�s expertise / core product?
Service Production Design.
What are your company's greatest achievements to date?
Our sales are constantly improving, and we continue to break targets and previous records.
What will your company be doing in 5 years time?
Who knows?! The landscape is constantly changing. We will ride the wave and see where it takes us.
Are you looking for investment?
Not personally. Ask my boss.
Thanks, Liam! Remember, if you want to get involved just click: I want to Play 20 Questions with TechHub Swansea!
See you next week!